Swim Camps POOL & OPEN WATER – Important
IMPORTANT INFORMATION, TERMS & CONDITIONS
SWIM CAMPS – IN THE SWIMMING POOL AND OPEN WATER TRAINING
Understanding the Risks:
All swimmers agree to swim at entirely their own risk and in the unlikely event of injury, accident, loss or damaged suffered, however it may be caused, no responsibility whatsoever will be attached to the organisers, or any persons involved in the organising of Ocean Walker Swim Camps.
IMPORTANT: Where attending a swim camp means you need to travel – please ensure you have your own comprehensive travel insurance cover for open water swimming abroad. This should cover yourself for; illness, accident, emergency repatriation, cancellation, lost luggage and delays and most importantly open water swimming!
Taking into account a crisis situation such as COVID-19, please check with your insurance provider so that you are fully aware of the options available to you.
It is your responsibility to provide your own cover based on the type of course you attend.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19 ON THE PRODUCT/SERVICE PAGE YOU ARE BOOKING. Our usual terms and conditions apply, but in the current situation we have added additional information on the booking page for you to read. By booking you are agreeing to our standard and additional terms.
In the swimming pool:
You will be advised if the swimming pool is indoor or outdoor and if the pool is heated or not.
Swimming pools are treated with chemicals such as chlorine, bromine, saline or UV to keep them clean. Please check with us first if you wish to attend a course, but have an allergic reaction to any of the above mentioned or possible treatments that swimming pools use prior to booking.
Due to the length of time we spend immersed in water, even using an indoor heated swimming pool, there are times when the temperature is ‘not as warm as we would like’. When using an outdoor swimming pool, we have the weather to take into consideration also. Whether we are inside or outdoors, we always recommend the use of a rash vest or swim top, to protect your skin from the sun, as well as providing a little extra warmth when needed. Whether you wear one or not is your choice.
In open water:
The temperature of the lake or sea will be measured before any swim takes place. This will affect the time spent in the water and if you decide to spend longer in the water than the OW team recommend (or swim open water during the camp, but on your own time), it is at your own risk. For sea swimming we will take into consideration the current, the weather conditions as well as marine life activity. Where we will take measures to avoid contact with marine life (i.e. Jellyfish) we cannot guarantee that this will not occur. Mostly jellyfish stings are more a discomfort than a major health risk but depending on the person or the type of jellyfish this can vary. We request that if you are stung or feel any slight discomfort that you advise a member of the OW team so we are aware before carrying on with your swim (or getting out).
Ocean Walker will always provide safety as part of any open water swimming on the swim camp agenda. Depending on the duration and type of swim, this will be in the form of land safety, kayaks or boat.
Adam Walker is the Ambassador for the Royal Life Saving Society of Open Water Swimming, so you are in good hands.
- All swimmers must read this form prior to booking, when you book, you have agreed to our terms of participation
- Swimming during the course is only permitted when you are directed by the OW swim camp staff
- Swimmer must leave the water when directed to do so
- Swimmer must wear correct swimming equipment
- Always swim in the direction the OW swim camp staff advise
- Swim responsibly, know your limits and swim within them. If you are feeling tired or unwell please speak to a member of the OW team before we start. During the course we do not recommend the consumption of alcohol – again, know your limits.
- If you require assistance while in the open water – roll on your back and raise an arm.
- Minor cuts and abrasions should be covered by plasters, if you have a major or deep cut it is advised that you don’t swim
- Try to swallow as little water as possible and don’t eat until washing your hands in clean water
- If you start to feel unwell after open water swimming and suffering flu like symptoms/severe headaches, see your GP asap and explain you have been open water swimming. You could be suffering for Leptospirosis (or Weil’s Disease) early diagnosis and treatment is paramount. These conditions are rare but can be picked up from open water swimming.
Acknowledgment of Risk
- I acknowledge I have read, understand and will comply with Ocean Walker Swim Camp rules.
- I completely understand and accept the risks involved in taking part in pool and open water swimming, including the possibility of serious injury or death.
- In the unlikely event of injury, accident, loss or damaged suffered, however it may be caused, no responsibility whatsoever will be attached to the organisers, landlords, or any persons involved in the organising of the open water swimming at Ocean Walker Swim Camps.
- I hereby certify that I am physically fit and well to participate in such training and don’t know of any medical condition that would prevent me safely swimming in the pool or open water.
- I undertake at all times to use my best endeavours to train in a safe manner and not to do anything that would expose myself or other swimmers to any unnecessary risk or injury.
- I hereby declare that I can swim the distance stipulated for my chosen course in pool or open water confidently and unaided in water temperatures as stated on the chosen course page.
*BASED ON THE CURRENT SITUATION WITH SOCIAL DISTANCING AND RESTRICTIONS IN PLACE FOR COVID-19, THEN THERE WILL BE NO PHYSICAL CONTACT, UNLESS IN AN EMERGENCY.
During the swim camp, we may request to position you correctly in the water or demonstrate body position during the theory sessions. For example, your head may be out of line during the stages, in which case Ocean Walker staff would gently move your head into the correct position. By booking this camp you agree that you are happy for us to do so. Ocean Walker staff will always take care not to move you in a way that will cause distress or harm. Do speak to one of the Ocean Walker staff before the camp starts if you have any concerns about this.
Photography and filming:
As part of the Ocean Walker Swim Camps we include video analysis, which involves photography and filming of you while swimming. This is done above the water and below the water. The footage is used to analyse your stroke progress throughout the camp. We would also like to use photography and video clips for our own marketing purposes.
If for any reason you do not wish to have your imagery used for anything other than the stroke analysis, please ensure you advise Ocean Walker staff before the swim camp starts.
Your Videos and Copyright: Following the swim camp, your videos taken from the day will be edited and sent to you on email using an ‘unlisted’ YouTube link (so only you or anyone who has the direct link can view). The content provided in this email is for the recipient only, as it may contain video footage of Adam Walker and the stages, which are not available for public viewing. Video links and passwords are being provided to you as a participant of an Ocean Walker swim camp to help further your personal progress and should not be shared. If we feel that you are not adhering to our requirements, then we have the right to remove this access from you. We thank you for your co-operation.
Ocean Walker Qualified Coaches:
By participating in an Ocean Walker swim camp, you will be coached by qualified coaches and in some cases a coach in training will be assisting our fully qualified teams.
As a participant you will learn how to swim the Ocean Walker Technique.
As someone who has participated in the course, this does not qualify you to teach or coach the Ocean Walker Technique. The Ocean Walker Technique is a registered trademark.
If you are approached by someone claiming to be able to coach the Ocean Walker Technique, you can check our list of qualified coaches on our website at the link below, or send us an email so that we can check on your behalf.
It is important that you are only coached this technique by a qualified Ocean Walker Technique coach, as anyone who is not trained may cause you injury or harm in their attempts, which goes against everything the creator Adam Walker has created this technique for.
You can check our list of qualified coaches here: Ocean Walker Team
Booking & Payment
To book your place on an Ocean Walker swim camp, please fill out the required information on our website in full. We may ask you for additional information following booking by email.
For our 5 day swim camps, there is the option to pay a deposit with final payment due prior to the swim camp starting. You will be reminded to arrange final payment.
If you do not make the final payment in time, your booking will no longer be in place as we will assume you are no longer able to make the course. In this situation, your deposit will be retained by Ocean Walker.
DEPOSITS – Where the option of a deposit is available, you will be advised as to when the final payment for the remainder of the course fee is due as detailed on the booking page for the course you are booking on our website. Please note that some deposits are non-refundable. Please read IMPORTANT INFORMATION tab on the course booking page for further information on this.
Flights and transfer to hotel (where travel is required).
Flights are not included and must be arranged by you.
Transfer is not included unless otherwise stated.
Please ensure you have your own comprehensive travel insurance, which must cover you against medical and personal accident risks (to include repatriation costs, air ambulance and helicopter rescue services) as well as open water swimming (under sports/recreation). Your insurer will be able to confirm if this is covered in your policy. Upon booking this course you are confirming that you understand that it is your responsibility and that you must have this in place for your trip.
Taking into account a crisis situation such as COVID-19, it is your responsibility to provide your own cover and understand exactly what cover you have based on the type of course you attend.
Ocean Walker swim camps are aimed at improving your stroke technically, with hands on coaching and training. These courses have been designed based on different levels of abilities, please ensure you check you ability level before booking a camp.
Open Water Swimming Ability Measure:
You have only just started swimming.
You are able to swim (front crawl not necessary) 100m in the pool.
Depending on the actual course, check the details on the booking page as some ability requirements vary.
You are able to swim at least 1km in the pool and open water.
You are a confident open water swimmer being able to swim at least 3km in open water, and are looking to improve technique and enhance your training. These courses are usually aimed at channel swimmers, triathletes and iron man participants.
If you are unsure on which ability level you come under, please contact us with regards to the course you are interested in.
Ocean Walker swim camps concentrate on improving your freestyle stroke, which is the favoured stroke in marathon swimming, using the efficient Ocean Walker Technique created by Adam Walker.
You must be 18 years or over to attend an Ocean Walker swim camp, younger participants will be considered based on experience and ability and will require parental guidance. Please make sure you contact us prior to booking to discuss further.
Swimming open water requires a certain level of fitness. Please ensure you are a proficient swimmer and are fit enough to take part. Please advise at the time of booking if you have any health concerns or if you suffer from asthma, diabetes etc.
COVID-19: If you feel unwell or think that you may have Covid-19 prior to the course date, we advise that you arrange to have yourself checked out immediately. If you are diagnosed with Covid-19 and are unable to attend the swim camp, please contact us immediately.
During our 5 day courses, Ocean Walker staff will take regular temperature checks of our participants.
OPEN WATER LONG DISTANCE SWIMS 6 hour or 2 hour Channel Swim qualifiers *only applies to certain swim camps
On our advanced swim camps we may offer you the chance based on your performance to take part in a 6 hour or a 2 hour channel qualifier sea swim. This is perfect if you are looking to pursue a channel crossing solo or relay. This swim is optional and you can take part even if you are not planning to swim the channel.
Channel swim qualifying details:
- For a solo attempt – a 6 hour swim in water 61°F/16°C or less, wearing no clothing or aids to enhance heat-retention, buoyancy or speed and conducted at any time up to 30 months before the start of the tidal period during which you have booked your swim
- For a relay attempt – a 2 hour swim in water 61°F/16°C or less, wearing no clothing or aids to enhance heat-retention, buoyancy or speed and conducted at any time up to 18 months before the start of the tidal period during which you have booked your swim.
- These swims are short compared to your Channel swim attempt and should not be treated as training swims. Your training should include regular swims of longer durations.
We will give you the opportunity to swim at sea for up to 6 hours. Upon completion you will receive a certificate signed by your coaches, that you can take away with you as proof. We will provide a safety boat and nutritional feeding for this swim.
Where the option is given, we ask you to advise us at the time of booking which swim you would like to take part in. Over the course of the weeks training, you may change your mind on your decision, please give us a days notice on this. The coaches are also at liberty to only allow swimmers to take part in the 6 hour swim that they feel are fit and safe enough to do so.
What equipment do I need to bring with me?
This varies depending on the swim camp you are booking.
You will always require your own swimwear / swim kit.
Ocean Walker will send you details of equipment you will require by email following booking.
The Swim Camp Group
Ocean Walker are keen to ensure each person receives the attention they require on the Ocean Walker swim camps. This is why we keep our group numbers between 10 and 15 (depending on the swim camp).
Swim camps in the pool are suitable for concentrating on technique work only.
Open water swim camps are suitable for any keen open water swimmer, whether you are just looking to improve on your fitness and stroke or you are planning to do a channel swim. It is a great way to mix with like minded swimmers, share each other’s experiences and learn in a safe and organised environment with experienced swim coaches and support team.
In the pool, you will be under supervisions of lifeguards on duty, or our own Ocean Walker team. In open water we will have planned routes to follow and in the sea we will hug the coastline again with a planned route for shorter distance swims will be accompanied by an experienced sea safety team on kayaks.
For the longer swims we will be accompanied by safety boat.
Support inflatables are also provided and must be worn when advised to do so by your Ocean Walker team.
Open Water Swimming and Marine Life:
All part of the open water swimming experience, and we are in good hands. We will check our chosen swim spots every day to ensure your best safety. For anyone concerned about Jelly fish stings, we will do our best to avoid areas where they are populated and any stings that do occur will be treated immediately. This is why we have several different swimming routes planned. Think of it as good practice for your channel swim, Adam will be able to tell you more about his experiences!
We can never guarantee the weather, water conditions or temperature. In any open water swim your safety is our priority and we will make the relevant checks before each swim. In severe cases of weather we may have to postpone a swim or move the venue. Any changes to schedules will be advised at the earliest possible time.
Ocean Walker use swim venues approved for open water swimming, and where possible have received water quality testing. In the event that the water quality of a venue is not up to standard, then we will do our best to either change schedule, postpone the swim session or the last option to cancel the session.
Accommodation (if applicable)
If accommodation is included in the course price this will be detailed on the booking page for that swim camp.
We have personally checked the accommodation for our swim camp attendees to ensure that it is up to our high level of standards, ensuring the most suitable location and facilities to suit everyone’s needs.
All rooms have double/twin beds, you just need to advise if you are single occupancy or double.
Where offered, you are welcome to bring a non-swimming partner/friend to stay with you, there is an additional charge for a non-swimming guest, which is stated on the booking form or can be advised via email.
Meals and refreshments
Where meals and refreshments are included as part of the course price – this will be stated on the relevant swim camp booking page
- Please advise at the time of booking any dietary requirements
- Meals included in the course price will be advised on the course page
Your full itinerary will be sent to you by email once we have received your booking confirmation and payment. You will be expected to take part in the whole training course. It has been created to be beneficial as well as enjoyable. If for any reason you do not wish to take part in a certain aspect of the course we would need to be notified at your earliest convenience. The course price is fixed, so we are not able to offer any refund for any part of the schedule that you wish not to take part in.
COVID-19: Some agendas may have to be amended to work around any restrictions in place at the time.
In the event you need to cancel your booking with us you must write to us to advise that you wish to cancel your booking immediately, so that we can take the best action required. Cancellation charges do apply and are detailed below:
- a)Cancellation advised 56 days or more before camp start date
- You will receive a full refund, less any non-refundable deposit paid and any payment processing fees that may have been applied.
- b)Cancellation advised 55 days or under before camp start date
- Charges will apply for any cancellations or amendments made to your booking within this time. Dependant on the time given, we may not be able to offer any refund.
- If you have paid a deposit, the deposit will not be refunded within this time frame.
- If you are able to find a replacement for your booking, we can offer a refund once payment has been received in full from the new attendee, less admin charges tba. It is your responsibility to find a replacement. If Ocean Walker find a replacement on your behalf admin fees may apply.
- If you are unable to attend due to contracting Covid-19 prior to or during travel to the swim camp/course, and you have booked a course that includes accommodation, full refunds / moving your booking to alternative date may not be possible depending on the amount of notice given. We request that you notify us immediately and we can advise any options available to you from then on a case by case basis along with the evidence of positive covid test.
Please note that if a service is cancelled through no fault of Ocean Walker, then the payment processing fee will not be refunded. Approx. 2.75% of the total value of your order, depending on the payment method this can vary slightly.
Cancellation by Ocean Walker:
In the unlikely event that we need to cancel a swim camp, you will be given as much notice as possible and we will always try to offer you an alternative option. With open water swimming, sometimes the weather and events beyond our control may require that we change date or venue, which will always be in the best interest and safety of our swimmers.