MALTA 5 Day Technical and Endurance Open Water Swim Camp
The ultimate 5 day swim camp for learning the Ocean Walker Technique and training for a long distance open water swim. Includes qualifying swims for channel swimmers.
ABILITY LEVEL: Advanced
Adam ‘Ocean’ Walkers annual ULTIMATE 5 DAY LONG DISTANCE SWIM TRAINING CAMP in Malta is back! This course has been specifically designed as an intensive swim course for those looking to swim the channel solo, relay or training for longer distance swims in lower temperatures such as a 1 or 2 way Windermere.
**Please make sure you read the COURSE CONTENT and IMPORTANT INFORMATION tabs before booking.
- Learn the Ocean Walker technique: Adams own style of front crawl, the swim stroke that gives you speed and efficiency over long distances but uses less energy than the conventional crawl techniques – a must for endurance swimmers…save those shoulders! The first full day is spent learning this technique in the pool which includes full Ocean Walker video analysis. Progress your swimming by perfecting your breathing and sighting skills. Swim effortlessly and efficiently to achieve your long distance swimming goals.
- Sea swims in lower temperatures: Malta has great conditions for training for a channel swim. The sea temp will be between 15-18 degrees and the humidity of the air is another great way to train your acclimatisation. Adam trained in Malta several times during his Oceans 7 challenge. The sea training takes place in several locations based on the weather conditions. You will be swimming on the shore line, or within a bay in large loops. Our safety team will be there to guide you along. We build your swim distance up over the week with 1-1.5 hour dips, then a 3 hour and then a 6 hour swim on the last day.
- Channel Qualifier: Certificates will be awarded to all swim campers detailing their long distance swim achievement from the course. This certificate can be used as evidence of an observed qualifying swim.
- Psychology of open water: Adam talks you through the life changing techniques he learned during his Oceans 7 on how to focus the mind.
- Nutrition: Ocean Walkers Malta camp nutritional expert Maria Misfud Bonnici (Master of Sport and Exercise Physiology) will give a really interesting and informative talk about what the body needs from food before, during and after a long distance swim.
- Video analysis: The pool sessions are filmed above and underwater. See how you progress over the week with your technique, and then following the camp receive your fully analysed footage on email!
The Ocean Walker 5 day technical Swim Camp in Malta is the ideal training platform for open water swimmers who are looking to pursue a solo channel swim or relay and for those who generally wish to improve their performance in open water, including an optional 6 hour channel solo qualifier* and 2 hour channel relay qualifier* swim at the end of the camp, for which you will receive a signed Ocean Walker certificate of achievement.
*We cannot guarantee the sea temp will be within Channel Swimming Regulations of 15/16 degrees.
Temperatures fluctuate between 14 – 18 degrees during March and April.
Ocean Walker 5 Day Technical and Endurance swim camp in Malta.
AGENDA OVERVIEW (full agendas will be sent to you upon booking confirming dates, detailing breaks actual duration and useful information)
[14:00] Meet and greet in hotel, introductions and course overview.
[15:30-16:30] Dip in the sea.
Then the evening is yours
[8:00-18:30] Swim stroke masterclass in the pool
[8:00-13:00] 3 hour sea swim (it is not compulsory for you to swim for 3 hours)
[15:30-20:00] Trip to Valletta (Culture Tour)
[8:00-12:00] Swim training in the pool
[14:30-19:00] Psychology, Nutrition, Video Analysis and 6 hour swim preparations.
[9:00-15:00] 6 hour sea swim (it is not compulsory for you to swim for 6 hours)
[18:30-22:30] Evening meal, presentations and camp comes to a close.
5 nights B&B accommodation is included in the course price (from check-in on TBC to check-out on TBC)
We will be staying at the Solana Hotel and Spa, Mellieha.
Distance from airport – 25km (30-40 mins by car)
On our street we have a short walk to Mellieha Bay as well as a selection of shops, cafes, groceries and bus stop.
If you require extra nights due to flights or just for some extra time to sight see, and you would like to stay at the same hotel, let us know upon booking as we will be happy to arrange this for you. Upon request of this we will advise the cost per extra night over email to you based on your room type and requirements.
All rooms are double or twin bed.
All rooms have a balcony.
All rooms are non-smoking.
You have 3 booking options.
1 x SWIM CAMPER – you will have a room to your self
2 x SWIM CAMPERS (sharing a room) you will share a room with one other swim camper.
*Please note, we do not place you with another camper, the person you are sharing a room with will be someone you book with. This may be a partner or a friend. We will ask you to advise if you require a twin or double bed.
1 x SWIM CAMPER + 1 x NON-CAMPER (sharing a room)
Your non swimming partner or friend can come and enjoy a holiday during your time with us. They will have full use of the hotel facilities, B&B accommodation plus dinner with us on the last night is included. They will be able to do their own sightseeing during your training sessions in the pool or theory sessions. When we are swimming open water your partner or friend is welcome to come and watch/support you from the side. If there is room on our transport they can travel with us, but this cannot be guaranteed. Public transport in Malta is regular and very easy.
Ocean Walker will supply swim campers with lunches on day 2, 3 and 4.
Please make sure you advise us of any specific dietary requirements upon booking.
We ask that all campers bring their own drinks bottles and carry their own water/refreshments.
In the evenings this is your free time to explore the local cuisine.
On day 5 Ocean Walker will provide you with nutritional energy drinks and snacks during the qualifying swim. In the evening Ocean Walker provide a buffet dinner with drinks included.
We do not provide a packed lunch on day 5. Those who finish their swim earlier than 6 hours have the option to return to the hotel (by arranging their own transport) or relax on the beach and support the other swimmers in.
Flights and airport transfers are not included in the course price.
You will need to arrange your own flights and transfers.
This course is suitable for those who have experience in open water swimming.
You are required to be able to swim at least 1km in open water.
It is important to note that the water temperature on this swim camp can be between 14-18 degrees celcius.
You can wear a wetsuit for the open water swims if you wish (for those who are not training for a channel swim).
**Participants must be 18 years and over.
(We can accept younger participants on this course, but a parent must be present – please contact us prior to booking to check and discuss).
You will be asked to confirm your agreement to our terms and conditions at checkout. By booking you are agreeing to these.
This will detail our useful information about what happens when you book including cancellation policy.
You can read these now by clicking this link Swim Camps – Important Information
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – RELATING TO COVID-19
To book onto the course we are taking a 25% non-refundable deposit, with the outstanding payment due by mid/end Januray. This secures your place on the course and your hotel.
After this date the full payment will be required at the time of booking.
Our usual cancellation policy applies. Please refer to our full t&c’s for more information.
Please do research your options with regards to travel insurance and we strongly recommend that you purchase insurance the includes (but not limited to) cover for illness, accident, emergency repatriation, ambulance, helicopter rescue services, cancellation, lost luggage, delays and most importantly open water swimming.
BOOKING YOUR FLIGHTS
There are now more options available for flexible flights. Please look into the best options available to you at the time for your travel.
Flights are not included with the course price. It is your responsibility to book your own flight.